Monday, March 18, 2013

No More Surprises, Uh?

Lists are a great tool to use when there are so many things to remember, or to do. Marking an item off a list can be therapeutic as well, giving us a sense of control in our everyday lives. Take for instance my recent blog post of March 10th. I stated that I needed to add a lower line of electric fencing to the horse pasture so I could turn the boy goats out with Glory and allow the girls the run of the goat pasture. Now... I would say it was a good start to include that in my list of things to do; separate the boys from the girls, and life goes on. With no surprises. That's what I say.

Lesson number one: life is full of surprises. Lesson number two: girl goats allowed to run with boy goats will get pregnant no matter how fat they are. Lesson number three: check every day for multiplying species. Do you see where I'm going with this? Good.

Meet Patty. Born on March 17, 2013 and weighing in at 4.25 pounds.




Obviously, Pepper didn't need my help like Sadie did. Which is a good thing.

When I feed the animals in the morning I like to make a mental note of where everyone is in their pens. This particular morning I didn't see Pepper and figured she was in the goat hut. If I didn't see her by a certain time, I would investigate.

I was showing the caboose to a guest of Nestle Inn, and then we walked over to see Sadie and Sarah. From our vantage point at the fence I could see the goat hut. Imagine my surprise when I saw a newly born kid standing in the entrance with Pepper behind her. I kinda felt left out. What was she doing having a kid without me?



So, now I really have to tackle that list of mine. First, by adding wire to Glory's fence so I'll have no more surprises...

3 comments:

  1. Gold at the end of the rainbow! Patty is a beautiful addition to your growing family. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa. I was sitting out there with them today, and it always amazes me how something less than 24 hrs old can be jumping all over. And Pepper is such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Patty at one month old on 4/17/13. [...]

    ReplyDelete