Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thought For Thursday - Death

Again there was another death in the family. Mom and I went to Owosso on Tuesday to attend the memorial of her nephew. I didn't know him that well.

As we were sitting in the church waiting for the memorial to start I was watching as people kept filing in the door. All the seats were taken, and there were people lined up standing in the back. I was thinking that my cousin sure did know a lot of people in his short 48 years.

I wondered how many people would attend my funeral. And then I remembered I wasn't going to have one. If I don't have time for my own funeral, I figured why would anyone else have the time. Mom had mentioned earlier in the day that she would like to have her funeral ahead of time so she could see who would attend. Oh, ...and she figured if she had it on a Saturday no one would have an excuse not to be there.

I looked around at the people who took time out of their day to say farewell. They would pay their respects, and then go their separate ways. Life would go on.

Death is all too common in this day and age. It seems to be everywhere. It is encoded in our genetic makeup; it's caused from environmental damage and diseases. Rarely does death happen from natural causes anymore. All too often we find it right around the corner or just next door.

The world may be a small place, but it's getting smaller with every passing funeral. As our lives intersect in such ways we become connected in grief.

But in spite of death's ever enclosing circle of creeping tentacles, the world keeps spinning and life continues on as if death was a short hiccup.

Yes, life continues on...

No comments:

Post a Comment